It is the goal of RTCA to nurture students to become young adults who are responsible, have a respect for commitments, and a sense of community. RTCA has adopted a community service requirement in an effort to develop these qualities and prepare students for life beyond their high school years.
Guidelines for Community Service Requirement
- Students in grades 9-12 will be required to complete a minimum of 20 hours each school year for a total of 80 hours upon graduation.
- Mid-year transfer students will be assigned a required number of hours based on their transfer date.
- Once service is completed, forms must be signed by a supervisor or sponsor of the agency.
Community Service Hours That Are Acceptable
- Activities which benefit the school or community provided that the community organizations benefiting from the services are non-profit, with the exception of hospitals, nursing homes, or educational activities.
- Activities which render service to individuals who cannot otherwise provide for themselves.
Examples of Approved Activities
- Participating in a service project as a member of a service club or community organization.
- Volunteering at a local hospital, nursing home, etc.
- Volunteering one’s services to individuals, i.e. senior citizens or the disabled.
- Outreach programs of religious organizations and other non-profit organizations, which provide service to the poor, sick, needy, etc.
- Participating in events, i.e., marathons, walks, races, which benefit charitable organizations.
- Volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club.
- Mission trip with church.
- Participating in clean up days at RTCA, helping at the auction, working at the concession stand.
Community Service Hours Will Not Be Accepted In Any of the Following Circumstances
- Service for which a student receives compensation.
- Court-directed community service.
- Service that is a prerequisite for employment.
- Service to one’s own family.
- Unsupervised service.
- Procedures for completing Community Service
Completion of Community Service Application
- Remember to complete the Community Service Student Volunteer Verification Form and include the student, parent and the supervising agency signatures.
- October 2, 2017: ALL community service hours completed over the summer must be turned in by this date. No hours will be accepted past this date.
- Any community service hours completed must be turned in within ONE month of completing the act of service, or it will not be counted.
- May 7, 2018: ALL community service hours MUST be turned in by this date.
*Seniors will not be allowed to march at Graduation if all community service hours have not been completed and all paperwork submitted by the dates listed above.*